When do I start flossing my child’s teeth?
When should a child start to floss their own teeth?
- Give your child a visual prompt to suggest the length of floss, perhaps a towel rack or the length across the sink.
- Demonstrate how to gently wrap floss around their fingers to keep it from being too tight.
- Let them watch you floss so they can mimic your movements.
- Repeat tips often until your child has mastered the task.
When will my child be able to floss alone?
Making the flossing habit stick!
- Keep the floss next to their toothbrush and toothpaste
- Place a checklist next to the sink so they remember each step - use pictures clues for non-readers
- Hang a calendar in the bathroom and let your child check off or place a sticker each day after they floss.